The bike course is required to obtain a license to drive a motorcycle. DSAQ members having a license to teach the driving of a motorcycle are set to make you sure of quality training and that you drive safely.
You can begin the approaches to obtain your driving license for motorcycle at the age of 16. If you are under 18, you will need the consent of your parents (form is available on the website of the SAAQ).
Depending on the cylinder capacity of the motorcycle you want to ride, you must hold a driver’s licence with one of the following classes:
- class 6A: all motorcycles;
- class 6B: motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of 400 cc or less;
- class 6C: motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of 125 cc or less.
To get a class 6A, 6B or 6C licence, you must go through a series of steps and meet the requirements set out for each class.
Steps to obtain a license for a motorcycle:
- Self-study by reading the guide Riding a motorcycle or theoretical training before the theoretical examination offered by the driving school
- Theoretical exam in a branch of the SAAQ
- Authorization to take the motorcycle permit
- Theory : 3 hours in preparation for driving on a closed track
- 16 hours course of practice driving on a closed circuit
- Theory: 3 hours in preparation for driving on the road
- 10 hours course of practice driving on the road
- Driving test on a circuit of a branch of the SAAQ
- Accompanied driving for a period of eleven months
- Final driving exam on a circuit of a branch of the SAAQ
To join the school member of the AECQ nearest you, see our list of members having a permit for the teaching of the motorcycle driving and giving the course under FIND A DRIVING SCHOOL.